Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 22, Day 4

My cousin is 4 years younger than I am, and she has something in common with Bill Clinton. Thankfully it's not Monica Lewinsky. Unfortunately, today she had the same heart procedure done that he had yesterday. Complaining of chest pains, she went in for tests and ended up with emergency surgery to insert stents to open clogged arteries. I'm not an old woman. I'm not even out of my 40s yet. But I am, apparently, at the age when heart troubles like clogged arteries can begin to rear their ugly heads. All the more reason to stay completely dedicated to as healthy a lifestyle as I can manage so I don't end up in trouble like my cousin. I don't have high blood pressure, I don't have high cholesterol, and I don't want to wait until I do before I am scared enough to change my ways. Now's the time, I'm off to a good start, and this is far too serious for me to give up and go back to my old ways.

Food for today: Arby's all the way. Not sure why. I guess too riled up to fidget around the kitchen. I had southwestern egg rolls for lunch -- 380 calories. And a roast beef gyro for dinner -- 420 calories. Still within my 800 calorie goal. Exercise: Walking at the store, but I didn't take my pedometer in, so I don't know how far I walked. 100 leg lifts. I'll do some arm work this evening. Maybe some time on my bike -- I'm not sure.

Today's Tip:
If you haven't started a fitness program, what are you waiting for? As we saw with President Clinton ans we see time and time again with so many other people, dietary and exercise changes are not made until after a health crisis occurs. But why wait until then? Why let it get to that point? Why set yourself up for needless pain and suffering, or even early death, when it can be avoided? TODAY is the day to begin. Right now. You don't have to change all at once. But at least begin moving in the right direction. Even 15 minutes of extra activity a day can make a difference. Do it like your life depends on it -- because it really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment