Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 1, Day 6

I feel pretty good about the 20 minutes on my bike tonight. That offsets the sadness that I couldn't do the walking I wanted to. I went to Walgreens to look for a pedometer and walked up and down each aisle, working my way toward the back corner of the store. I figured I would do likewise, up and down each aisle back across the store and just keep going back and forth across the store for a half an hour or so. But I only made it to the back corner of the store and was in so much pain that I just headed out the most direct route possible. I sat in the car and cried, waiting for the pain to go away before I could drive.

This evening my back was feeling better, so I thought I'd try my bike for awhile. My back hurt a bit when I got done, but I was fine while I was cycling. Go figure. I think I should just try to do that more often. Obviously, the walking thing is just not meant to be right now.

Food was okay today. Two turkey and cheese sandwiches on whole wheat bread, a cup of yogurt, and a bowl of mixed veggies with a little bit of fat-free cheese on top. I'm really craving pasta as I write this. But it's a little after midnight, so I think I can just make myself go to sleep to avoid giving in to the craving.

The best part of the day had nothing to do with dieting, though. I got a call tonight from a friend whose voice I haven't heard for years. Susan and I used to be best buds. Then for reasons too many and too personal to tell about here, we lost track. We both had tried over the years to get in touch with each other, but messages, for one reason or another, just weren't getting through. As time passed, feelings got hurt and each of us began to think the other just wasn't interested in the friendship anymore. A couple of months ago, I made one final attempt to contact her via Facebook. It was then that we discovered some the missed messages and wrong assumptions that had kept us apart. I feel terrible that so many years passed. But tonight the phone rang, and when I looked at the Caller ID, I saw that it was from Maryland. I answered the phone and I heard her voice and we gabbed like miles and time had never come between us. If she ever reads this, I hope she knows how much that call meant to me. And I look forward to many more in the days and years to come.

She's a fan of Biggest Loser, too. And we're going to work on this whole weight loss thing together. I've gotten so many wonderful comments of encouragement on my Facebook wall, and now with Susan working with me on this, I feel invigorated. Okay, so maybe I can't do the walking I want to...yet. And maybe I am blobby right now. But maybe a few months from now, I'll be doing a lot better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment