Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 1, Day 7

Gosh, I can't believe the first week is over already. Everyone has been so kind, leaving the most encouraging comments and great advice on my Facebook wall. No matter how all this turns out, it's already been a huge blessing. Thank you SO much!

Was poking around last night on the Biggest Loser section of NBC.com. Their two trainers, Jillian and Bob, also have Twitter pages, and that's where I learned that all the Season 8 finalists have already been sent home, just waiting for the live finale. I knew there was some lag time between the time the people were actually on the Biggest Loser Ranch and the time the show airs. Even though there is only one week for viewers between the last show on the ranch and the finale, it's clear that the contestants had time at home to continue to lose weight. That's why it's always a surprise at the finale to see who ultimately wins. But I didn't realize it was quite this much time. So essentially, those of us who are viewers have the length of the show to lose our weight, and the contestants have that time plus the same amount of time at home while the show airs. No wonder they end up with such huge amounts of weight lost on the finale show!

So to get an accurate measurement of how I did compared to the Season 8 contestants and an accurate idea of how long this blog should last, I need to continue dieting beyond the finale for the same length of time the show aired. Yes, I intend for this blog to be time-limited. For real success, this new suit I'm creating for myself, a new, healthy body, needs a lifetime of daily maintenance -- and the maintenance part isn't what this blog is about.

Gosh, a lifetime of daily maintenance ... as I read that, it sounds almost like a burden. But of course, it's not. It's just a matter of changing habits and attitudes until they become routine matters of daily life. I think dieting is as much mental work as it is physical. The show gives us a glimpse into that with some of the issues the contestants have. I just need to do like they do and work through my own issues and slay my own dragons as I go through this.

I've read that keeping a daily record of what you eat is supposed to help. That's why this week I've taken time to record it all. I think I'll keep doing that. There have been times when I've wanted to "cheat" and eat something I know I shouldn't. But knowing I will have to come here and record it makes me think twice about it. Accountability is a powerful tool!

Today I had: a small chef salad, a banana, a cup of yogurt, a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread. My back has hurt terribly today -- can't move without pain, so I haven't even gotten on my bike. I probably shouldn't have eaten all those calories that I haven't been able to work off. But I think they were healthy calories, so I don't feel too badly about it.

And now I'm off to slay some dragons before tomorrow's weigh-in. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rabble Girl! ;-)
    Guess who? Yup-the Opera Diva from Maryland! :-)
    If you can take asprin, it will help reduce the inflammation in your back. When your vertebrae or nerves get out of joint, or compressed, your body swells the area and puts fluid in the joints, etc, to protect the area when it's being rubbed or injurious. Asprin helps reduce the inflammation and break the cycle. Feel better-be patient, be persistent! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An easier exercise for your back would be a "reverse" crunch. You lay flat on your back (therefore protecting it) and lift your legs while bending at the knees. Then with your knees together, use your abs to pull your bum up towards your chest. It is much easier on your back and works the lowest area of your abs in that hard to flatten area. I need to follow my own advice here. Leg lifts are extrememly stressful on your back when you have injuries or pain. So, you can do a work around. Try the asprin though to break the cycle! :-) You're doing great! Keep it up! Benjamin Franklin said that anything repeated for 30 days in a row becomes a habit. So just keep giving yourself grace, and changing your mind set. Remember to give yourself grace! You can do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete