Monday, November 9, 2009

Week 8, Day 7

A wise friend of mine suggested that once in awhile I should get myself a treat for the hard work I'm putting in on this weight loss journey. I was walking around at the mall with Adam tonight and came across something I really liked, so I took the advice of my friend and splurged a bit. And it's sole purpose is to make me a bit prettier.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a girlie-girl. Never have been, and most likely never will be. I am, however, a sucker for a good salesperson. A very sweet woman approached me from one of those kiosks the malls get so many of around the holidays. She asked me a simple question about whether or not I ever get my nails done. About 15 minutes later I walked away with a collection of nail care products. Why? Because the demo she did on my nails made me feel completely pretty.

All that said, if you ever encountered a similar salesperson selling the same products at your mall, fear not. I did NOT spend the $80 originally quoted for this miracle nail care collection. No sirree. I kept saying no until the price came down to $30, then came home and found it on Amazon for $25. Even though I paid a tad bit more at the mall, I'm glad I bought it there instead of Amazon. I really liked the salesperson.

So why am I sharing all this here? Because 1) I think it truly is important to celebrate along the way when doing something as difficult as losing weight, and 2) I just feel so good about taking care of myself -- even if it is just my nails. I thought about it and it's been years since I bothered taking care of my nails beyond just trimming them. Not a big deal, except I think that's just a symptom of my generally not taking care of ANY part of me. Ergo, weight gain. But ... those days are gone, and a whole new me is emerging. :)

I ate a chicken and cheese sandwich, an incredibly small burger, and I'll have a yogurt later on. I did some walking with Adam and will do some weight work on my arms. Then it's off to bed -- either I still have a cold or my allergies are running rampant, I can't tell which. Either way, I need rest!

2 comments:

  1. Feeling pretty is an important part of weight loss, for women. Also when the house is clean, it helps you feel good about yourself. All non-food rewards are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a horrible housekeeper! And I've never been much for frou-frou stuff. I don't think I'll ever be one of those women who goes for the fancy French manicures with the ultra-white tips. As long as their trimmed so I can play my guitar, I don't think much about my nails, in fact. But there was just something so nice about this particular nail care kit. Easy to do, lasts for a couple of weeks, looks pretty...it all added up to a pleasant high that's still with me. And when I look down at my pretty buffed-to-a-shine nails, I'm reminded of my weight loss goals and those goals seem more like a joy than a chore.

    ReplyDelete