Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 4, Day 5

Okay, today was an awesome day. A little iffy in the middle, but overall one of the better days I've had in a few months. Good food choices, a mile and a half or more of walking at a brisk pace, and a fun evening out. Can't beat it!

I woke up with pain, as usual. But once I got going, the pain went away. I don't know why or what I did right. But I felt really good! Not knowing how tomorrow will be, I took advantage of the lack of pain and walked as much as I could. Adam and I went out and got a new cable for my monitor at Best Buy, and I walked around the store, up and down aisles.

We stopped at a place called Jason's Deli for lunch. I got a turkey sandwich with tomatoes and lettuce leaves. Cheese came with it, so I took the slices of bread that had cheese melted on to them and set them aside, not eating them at all. Baked chips came with it, too, and I ate a few and left the rest.

I thought Adam was going out tonight, so about 6 o'clock I ate a chicken sandwich. Unfortunately, by 7:30 he was still home and he was unhappy because his plans didn't work out. So we went out and had dinner and a movie.

Since I had already had a sandwich at home, I ordered a salad -- Mesquite chicken, lettuce, corn relish and some other stuff. Seemed like a basically diet-friendly thing to order. I knew it would be big, so I planned on eating just a little bit of it and taking the rest home. Wrong. The thing was so terribly spicy hot that even my lips burned. I'm not a fan of hot food anyway, but then to have a salad that burned like that was not even close to fun. I asked for a menu so I could see what was in the salad, and nothing indicated to me that it was going to be so hot that it would burn my lips, my tongue, the sides of my mouth and my gums. The waitress was nice and without my requesting it, she asked the manager to remove it from our bill. Chili's is a decent place to eat, but never order their salads!

Since I hadn't be able to eat the salad, I was tempted to order a bit of dessert. The temptation got even greater when I asked Adam if he wanted any, and he said he didn't have room to eat a whole dessert by himself. Hmmm....if we split a dessert, it wouldn't be that many calories. It wouldn't be so bad. WRONG! It is bad. I didn't need the sugar, and I didn't need the calories. And truthfully, I wasn't even hungry. So I didn't give in.

The movie was good. We parked at one end of the parking lot, and the auditorium was the furthest away from our car, so I got some good walking in just getting to our seats and back to the car. Also, no popcorn. Adam got me Junior Mints, and I only had a few. Really! The rest of the box of mints came home with me and is put away for another day. And I had a bottle of water instead of soda. Good thing I didn't have a big tub of popcorn. We saw Zombieland, and thought it's not a scary movie, parts of it are very startling and I jumped a few times. The kind of jumping that ends up tossing popcorn all over the people nearby. Lack of popcorn -- another good reason to be on a diet. :)

It is a little bit chilly tonight. A brisk and invigorating chill , not the kind that makes you shiver. So I didn't feel like going home when we got out of the theater. I wanted to do something. Anything. Even though it was just a little before 11 o'clock, we decided to go to Walmart so I could walk around a bit. Like I said, I took advantage of the lack of pain!

From 11:15 to midnight I walked at a brisk pace. And not just "brisk for me". I think even normal people would think I was going at a pretty good clip. I stopped and rested for about 30 seconds to a minute now and then to catch my breath, and then I'd keep on going. I went around the store twice, going up and down each aisle in each section. Not window shopping or stopping to peruse. Actual walking. Though I did not yet have a pedometer, I feel certain that 45 minutes of walking has to have been at least a mile. I have a pedometer now -- one of my rest stops was in front of the exercise equipment and I grabbed a pedometer before continuing on.

So that's how my Saturday went. A good day! I hope yours was, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment