Sunday, February 14, 2010

Week 22, Day 6

The best thing about winter is that exercising is a great way to stay warm. It's cold, snowy, and windy outside today, and I haven't minded staying inside and staying active and warm. I'm a grumpy person when it gets hot and humid, so I think as long as it's not icy out, I'm going try to enjoy the rest of winter and the pleasant coolness it brings to working out.

I bought a pair of jeans the other day. It was a size smaller than I had been wearing, and they don't fit right. They're too large in the thighs and a bit snug in the butt and just right around the waist. Clearly, the leg lifts I've been doing are working, but I need to keep working on the huge hiney and massive middle. I was always pear-shaped before, carrying most of my weight in my thighs. Now I'm beginning to look more like an apple. Is it time and age that have changed my contours or simply a matter of a poorly executed exercise plan? I'm not sure. But my next goal is to fit into jeans that don't have a stretchy waistband. That and to be skinny enough that I feel comfortable wearing jeans without a sweater or shirt that goes down far enough to cover my derriere. I know covering it up doesn't make it smaller, but somehow I feel better when it's covered. Sort of like farts -- if the dog is nearby, I can blame the smell on her.

Food today: a bowl of chicken soup for breakfast, the same for lunch, a bowl of applesauce for dinner, and I may have a bowl of veggies later. Exercise today: leg lifts, biking, arm weights-- about an hour so far and will probably have another 45 minutes in before the day is done.

Today's Tip:
Do what works for you. I'm having success being more aware of eating actual "food", watching my portions, cutting out high fructose corn syrup and soda pop, and increasing my exercise. Since September I've gone from 259 to 216. My sister, on the other hand, has taken a different route and has lost 28 pounds in a year and a half. She is using Weight Watchers, and she's happy with it. While it has taken her longer with her way than it has for me with my path, it's working for her and that's what counts the most. With Weight Watchers things like MSG and high fructose corn syrup, etc. are all allowed, and the emphasis is on counting points as determined by Weight Watchers. That would drive me nuts for two reasons: 1) I now know better about what is actually "food", and 2) counting points doesn't give me the freedom I feel I have with the simple thought "How far away is this food from the way God made it?" For my sister that's all too complicated and the point system takes the guesswork out of it. That's okay. She and I are both doing what works for each of us. And you should too. Just do it with commitment, and you will succeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment