Monday, February 15, 2010

Week 22, Day 7

Two weeks from today, on March 1, Dad will have his surgery. Am I scared? You betcha. The whole family is. At least I've stopped the spontaneous crying in public. (Except for the heavily bearded man --and yes, I'm sure it was a man--in the skirt and tight sweater and bra, I was the one most likely to be avoided at the mall.) I talked to Dad today, and he sounds as ready as one can be for this kind of thing. He quizzed his doctor, and out of 300 surgeries, the doc has only killed one patient. The national death rate for this kind of operation is 1 in 20, so I guess we're in good hands here. And I can't believe God protected Dad all these years with the aneurysm while we waited for technology to catch up to his needs (Dad has larger than normal arteries that are slightly bent in places, requiring large, flexible stents), only to take him from us now. I know God may, for whatever higher reason, still take Dad home, but right now I have to believe Dad is meant to come through this successfully.

However, just because I don't embarrass myself in public anymore and am trying to stay very positive, I am noticing my body is still exhibiting some signs of stress. My appetite is ranging from nervous eating to no appetite at all. I'm either very fatigued or so full of nervous energy that I can't possibly sit still. Sleeping is a hit and miss kind of thing that seems to be more akin to a magic trick and any kind of regular event. Since I'll be staying with the folks and wielding Mom's wheelchair for a couple of weeks on my own and taking care of whatever household needs there are, I'm working on my strength as much as possible. But man, oh man, I sure have been craving chocolate. That was always my drug of choice during Adam's surgeries and therapy. That's how I started getting fat to begin with 15 years ago. I can't let that happen again! You folks reading this can really help me in the coming weeks -- talk me down! Help me stay away from the bad stuff I KNOW I shouldn't have! Please!!!

Today's Tip:
Ask for help when you need it. There's no reason why you have to make this journey alone. When you have a need, it's NOT a sign of weakness to ask for help. Actually, it's a sign of strength. Let your friends and relatives know what you need for them to do to help. More likely than not, they'll be glad to know and pleased to be a part of your success!

Please pray: My dad is Bill Arnold. His surgery is the morning of March 1. Thank you.


2 comments:

  1. I will be praying for all of you, take the time to pray, and cherish each and every moment, time and family is a precious gift, that time can never return to us. Lots of prayers and loves will be coming your prayer and if you need to talk my email is prosseresther and my phone is 274-2475 in Auburn. So i would love to help in any way that i can, all my love and prayers be with you all. Love Esther(Adams)Prosser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther,

    You're so sweet! I'm so grateful we have caught up with each other again after all these years! And I very much appreciate your support and kindness at this difficult time. ::hugs::

    --Melissa

    ReplyDelete