Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 17, Day 6

I thought since the weather was warmed up into the 20s ABOVE zero today -- the first day significantly above zero in quite awhile, that I would be full of all kinds of energy and eagerness to be outside enjoying these nearly balmy temperatures. Not so. I went out, but 20 is still darned cold and I was happy to get back home. It didn't help that I was battling the after-church crowd at the store when I was trying to walk. I'd walk a few steps and wait, walk down an aisle and find the next one jammed up, turn a corner and be cut off. Oh well, better luck tomorrow I guess.

Food: Oops...some junk today. I had some chicken noodle soup with croutons in it. Then I ate the rest of the croutons. I couldn't help myself. Darn. No self-control. I simply can't buy that kind of stuff anymore. I also indulged in a soft drink. Mountain Dew has a new limited-time drink called Mountain Dew Throwback, which is made with real sugar instead of that awful high fructose corn syrup. It was awesome. :) That should do it for awhile, though. It's not like I want to go out and buy a six-pack of the stuff. I hope they keep it around, though. If I ever have another soft drink, I would much rather stay away from HFCS and I'll look for Throwback. I'll have some yogurt and a banana later on. At least something healthy will pass my lips today. :)

Exercise: Leg lifts, walking at the store, weight work on my arms, and some biking tonight.

Today's Tip:
Are you willing to go the extra mile for a friend? I've known Charlotte for over 35 years, and I'd like to know her for 35 more. But she's a smoker. She wants to quit, but like so many others addicted to tobacco, she can't seem to stop. And I guess she could make similar statements about my addiction to crappy food. Charlotte reads A New Suit for inspiration, and she's one of my dearest friends. So as of today, we are committed to conquering our demons together. Each day she will try to not smoke. Just that day. Not a long term promise to never smoke again. Just a promise to not smoke that day. And I am going to do two things: 1) I am going to send her text messages whenever I can to encourage her to stay strong, and 2) each day I am going to ride my bike my usual amount -- that is, until I am simply too tired to ride anymore, and then I'm going to ride one extra mile for Charlotte. Do you have a friend or loved one you can ride the extra mile for? If you do only that one extra mile each day, at the end of the month you will have ridden 30 extra miles, or 365 extra miles in a year. That's a powerful boost to your fitness regimen and a great tribute to your friend or loved one! And maybe knowing you're going the extra mile for them will be the inspiration they need to save their own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment