Sunday, December 6, 2009

Week 12, Day 6

Do you feel this blog is helping you in any way? If so, please won't you help me by 1) "following" it through Networked Blogs (part of Facebook) or Google Friends, AND 2) recommending this blog to your friends? If not, would you please let me know what I can do better? I am humbled by the comments I have received so far, letting me know my journey is making a difference. But I lost a "follower" today, and I don't know why. Plus, I'm a little frustrated that this isn't reaching more people if it is, indeed, helpful.

I have nearly all of my Christmas shopping done. It has been wonderful to feel well enough and be fit enough to be able to get out and actually shop in person rather than being in such horrid shape that I am forced to do the bulk of it online. I'm looking forward to reporting here even more things I am able to do either again or for the first time as time goes on. I feel very hopeful today!

Food and exercise -- I have tons of energy today, so exercise is not an issue. About 15 minutes stair climbing, 15 minutes on the bike, and I dont' know how long doing weights with my arms. And for some reason my appetite is nearly nothing today. I had sandwich earlier, and I'm giving oatmeal another shot tonight (trying to not accidentally make enough for a small army). Yippy for days when constant hunger is not an issue!

I dont' know how many calories I eat each day. Perhaps there will come a time when I want to put enough effort into the process to figure it all out each and every day. But that's not what I care about right now. I have a general idea that I have significantly reduced my intake, and that's good enough.

Today's Tip:
Take time to laugh. Seems simple enough, but it really is a marvelous tool in the weight loss arsenal. For one thing, it reduces stress, which in turn reduces the release of "stress hormones" that make us fatter. Plus, you actually burn calories and tone your abdominal muscles when you laugh. An article in USA Today says, "Dieters looking for another edge might want to consider exercising their sense of humor — scientists have found that a good laugh is a calorie burner not to be ignored." Oh sure, your caloric burn won't be HUGE. The study, done at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, estimates 10 to 15 minutes of giggling will burn only 50 calories. But still, what a delightful way to burn them! And every little bit helps. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment