Thursday, April 8, 2010

Silver Linings, Week 30, Day 3

Another pound and a half gone. At this rate I'm estimating I'm dropping about 10 pounds a week. Maybe more? Of course, this pace won't keep up forever, but I'm embracing the silver lining while it's here before the cloud goes away. The big thing for me right now is to keep up my activity while I'm going through this. It will help me keep whatever fitness I've gained, and it helps me keep my mind off the excruciating tooth pain. Since I'm not eating more than a couple hundred calories a day, I'm feelilng sort of weak. But I'm continuing to walk with Dad at the hospital (he's up to nearly three-quarters of a mile!) and do my leg lifts. I've done some work with my resistance bands, too, though not as much as before. Little by little... Dad's not happy that he's not progressing faster, but like I keep telling him, little by little, he and I both will reach our goals. I figure that by the end of summer, we're both going to be so fit and fabulous that no one will be able to keep us down! :)

Today's Tip:

Not all sugars are the same! Studies continue to show that high-fructose corn syrup is dangerous, and that while table sugar isn't great, it's a better choice than hfcs. This is from an article at Qualityhealth.com:


In 2004, researchers at the University of Louisiana hinted that an increase in
the use of high-fructose corn syrup in the United States since the 1970s
coincides with an increase in obesity rates in this country. Ever since then,
the sweetener has been maligned as one of the most dangerous food ingredients to
come along since refined white sugar.

A Princeton University study published in the March 18, 2010 issue of the journal Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior showed that rats fed high-fructose corn syrup became obese while rats fed equal amounts of sucrose (table sugar), did not gain extra weight. All other conditions, including total calorie intake, were equal. Lead researcher Bart Hoebel says this may mean that high-fructose corn syrup is more easily converted into fat in the body than table sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment