Friday, March 12, 2010

Living La Vida Podunk Week 26, Day 3

No more sleeping in chairs, no more sleeping on the floor. I'm in a bed again. But I'm also on someone else's computer, and the darned thing keeps backing up and erasing what I just typed. Yes..it is the computer's fault, not mine. So if you see typos, I do not own them. That's my story, and I"m sticking to it. I also don't have my bike or my weights. I brought my resistance bands with me, though. And I went to the store and walked yesterday. Leg lifts are pretty easy to do here, too. So we'll see how well I can stick to my exercising while I'm staying in Iowa.

Not only did I do some walking at the store yesterday, but I also picked up some of my "diet" foods. Dad is so impressed with the progress I've made that he insisted that I get foods that will help me stay on track. It was then that I discovered how challenging it is to eat the new way I've developed when one lives in a small town. The organic produce section podunk towns is miniscule -- one tiny row with only carrots, broccoli, and some very anemic looking lettuce. No organic frozen veggies. Very few cheeses that aren't processed cheese "food". Very little to choose from in yogurt. The bread selection is various brands of white. That's okay. I got the best I could find. I like knowing enough to make the best choices with what is available. It makes me feel better about myself. I chose frozen veggies, some fresh, asiago cheese, yogurt, whole wheat cream of wheat --which surprised me they had, and stevia. I passed on the white bread. I just can't bring myself to put that in my body.

My daughter-in-heart made dinner last night. Pork chops and mixed veggies. Very yummy and healthy. No desserts, and I'm glad. If I get an urge for dessert, yogurt helps that craving. Then for breakfaast today, I had cream of wheat with some stevia. Through all of the surgery and hospital stay and now that it's over and I'm in Iowa, I have not given in to the temptation to deal with stress by self-medicating with junk food. This is one of the first major tests I've had in a long time, so I'm pleased I'm standing firm. It's not a huge struggle to do the right thing. As I mentioned a few days ago, it's actually kind of therapeutic and empowering. When everything else is out of control, what I do for myself is one of the few things I actually can control.

Dad and I were going to go walking at the hospital each day -- temperature controlled, no pollen, bathrooms, places to sit, medical care if he needed it -- but he isn't feeling well. He still has fluid in his lungs, has some intestinal distress, and now has a sore throat. I took him to the doctor yesterday. Mom, too, since she developed a nasty UTI during all this medical stuff with Dad the past couple of weeks. I got my walk in as I wheeled Dad from the clinic to xray and the lab and back to the clinic, down to the cafeteria for some lunch while we waited, back to the clinic. I'm still looking forward to our walking together and helping him on the road to better fitness. I remember when he was a young man, vital and strong. I know he never will be again. He is an old man, 81 and right now he's frail. But he's also a fighter, and I'm eager to help him in that fight. Until he can get well enough for us to get out to the hospital to walk, he at least is walking a small circuit here at the house. He knows every step helps, and he's determined to do what he can do each day, even if it's only a little bit. I love you, Dad!

Today's Tip:
If an 81 year old man is fighting for his fitness, what's stopping you? Every step helps. Even if you're not as young and vital as you once were, even when you don't feel well, even if you're not ready or not able to run a marathon, every step helps. Do what you can today. Doing that each day will add up to better tomorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment