Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bringing Others Into the Fold Week 26, Day 1


I'm so excited! Mom and Dad are watching Biggest Loser with me tonight. And they are inspired. Because of the events of this last week Dad has decided that he needs to increase his fitness. We've watched the Biggest Loser contestants tonight walking. As Dad started getting better at the hospital, they had him up and walking the hallways, and he wants to do more walking when he gets home. But he's afraid to just go walking around the neighborhood. For one thing, he's still not completely recovered, and for another, he has really bad allergies. I'm taking Mom and Dad back to Iowa tomorrow, and I'll be staying with them for a couple of weeks. They live in a small town with not a lot of indoor places to walk, but their local hospital has the right air quality and plenty of medical help if he has trouble. So Dad thinks it's a great plan for the two of us to go out to the hospital each day I'm there and walk -- to increase his fitness and to keep my weight loss on track. No pollen, plenty of places to sit if he needs to rest, bathrooms, and we can do it together. Perfect! I can hardly wait! Dad and I haven't been walking together since I was a teenager. It's about time we go for a walk again!

I'm packing up tonight, trying to figure what I'm going to need for two weeks away. I guess by the time I get home, it will have been about a month since I've had anything resembling what had been my normal life. When I was younger, I dreaded long periods of time without "normal". But as I have aged, I have learned to embrace them. These times provide a natural opportunity to reevaluate and make changes or improvements in my life, becoming a better me. I'm eager to see how all this shakes out and who I become. What an exciting time in my life!

Today's Tip:
One of the things my friends kept telling me this past week is to take time to take care of myself as I took care of Mom and Dad. It was very wise advice. One of the ways I did that was by making healthy food choices. Not in a stressful "OMG, I gotta do it!" way, but in a consciously purposeful way. It was one of the few things I had control over, and I found it very therapeutic. In years past not taking care of myself got me fat and took a toll on my health. In contrast, I have just come through a very difficult week feeling physically well. It's a much better way to live. Take time to take care of yourself. It really IS important.

No comments:

Post a Comment