Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 20, Day 5 and 6 WEE HOURS EDITION

It's 1:30 in the morning between Saturday and Sunday. Can't sleep. And I just came across some great info to share, so here I am writing a new post for A New Suit. Lucky you, lucky me! :) Coach Mo, one of my all-time favorites from Biggest Loser Season 8, was featured in his hometown paper, the Louisville Courier-Journal, and in the article he shared some great tips:

COACH MO'S STAPLES
- Turkey bacon
- Truvia Natural Sweetener
- Honest Tea organic tea
- Brown Omega 3 cage-free organic eggs
- Skim milk
- Clementines
- Apples

NUTRITION TIPS
- Avoid all white foods.
- Limit your daily sodium intake to 25 mg.
- Eat six small meals a day; about every three hours.
- No soft drinks.
- Never trust “healthy” fast food unless you see for yourself how its made.


I was pretty excited when I saw this list since several of the things are what I either do or try to do:
  • I've heard for years that avoiding "white" foods (white bread -- have whole grain bread instead, potatoes -- or at least avoid topping them with butter, sour cream, and other tempting high-calorie stuff, white rice, pasta, etc.) for years, and it's really a help with the diet.
  • And of course, no soft drinks. (Did you read yesterday's blog post about what's in restaurant soda fountain drinks? Nasty!)
  • Sodium is terribly overused in the typical American diet, and our heart health has paid the price. Watch out for Weight Watchers -- I got some of their snack items (as a gift from someone wanting to support my weight loss efforts) recently and was appalled at how drenched they were in sodium and MSG.
  • Truvia is the brand name for the herbal sweetener stevia, and I started using that about two years ago. Soooo much better for you than the artificial sweeteners like aspartame or saccharin. (Look for just generic stevia rather than a name brand like Truvia and you'll save money.)
  • And I've been saying here at A New Suit that the claim of "healthy" on foods either at the restaurant or at the supermarket aren't believable --be SURE before you believe. And about 3 months ago we switched to Omega 3 cage-free organic eggs ...easy to find at Target and most supermarkets.
So there you have it. Thanks, Coach Mo! Good stuff to either learn or have reinforced. And a great article! You're a wonderfully inspiring person!

2 comments:

  1. Truvia is not the brand name for stevia. In fact, it really is not even a stevia product at all. Fyi, Rebaudioside-A (Reb-A) is one of the 11 glycoside compounds within the stevia leaf is produced by the action of sunlight on the leaves, and it is about 400 times sweeter than sugar. However, Rebiana in Truvia and I understand PureVia as well, is not an ingredient in the stevia plant, nor is it found in nature. It is produced by the action of chemicals and stringent alcohols on various stevia glycosides. Rebiana is simply the trade name Cargill gave their chemically derive product in 2008. The FDA "No Questions" letter states that Rebiana contains residues of ethanol and methanol.

    Truvia is 9/10 of 1% Rebiana and masking agent (added to cover up their bad taste profile) and 99.1% erythritol, a sugar extracted from corn with alcohol ( a sugar alcohol), which can be hard on the digestive system. Cargill has admitted that 30% of their corn is genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

    I understand PureVia is 8/10 of 1% Rebiana (though I've noticed they list Reb-A in the ingredients) and 99.2% forms of sugars. Both of these products are essentially sugar products, not stevia products.

    Sun Crystals is 96.5% table sugar ans Stevia in the Raw is 95.8% table sugar.

    I like SweetLeaf Sweetener, which actually was the first to gain GRAS status about 9 months before Truvia and PureVia. It is a very pure form of stevia extract with 0 calories, 0 carbs, and a 0 glycemic index, with added inulin fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Thanks for the clarification. I was completely wrong about Truvia. I thought it was simply a brand name for stevia, the same way Nutrasweet was a brand name for aspartame. As I said in the post, I use stevia, not Truvia, and from what you say, it sounds like I'm much better off. I'm not very good with chemistry, but if I understand what you're saying, Truvia and PureVia are no better than any other artificial sweetener -- chemical concoctions that are probably not good for our health. Correct?

    ReplyDelete